Are you a professional and dedicated individual with a passion for Fruit Production and the industry’s success in South Australia? This newly created position will be key to supporting the amalgamated associations of Apple, Pear and Cherry Growers in South Australia.
Fruit Producers SA (formerly Apple and Pear Growers Association of South Australia and Cherry Growers Association of South Australia) was formed in July 2021 as the peak industry body in South Australia. Fruit Producers SA (FPSA) main objective is to promote, advance, and protect the South Australian Fruit Crop industry, focusing on the Adelaide Hills and Fleurieu Peninsula regions and the Fruit Crops grown by Members in those regions.
FPSA’s Independent Chair uses their experience, skills, and leadership abilities to facilitate FPSA’s governance processes. The Chair does not have voting rights. The Independent Chair is appointed by, and accountable to the Board members to lead the development and implementation of the FPSA Strategic Plan.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The role of the Independent Chair is to:
- Ensure the Board operates as an inclusive, well-functioning team.
- Establish the agenda for Board meetings in consultation with the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), so that: (time is allocated effectively, the right matters are considered during the meeting, matters are considered carefully and thoroughly; and the Board makes clear decisions and gives adequate guidance to the CEO and relevant jurisdictional personnel.
- Chair Board meetings.
- Ensure meetings are aligned to relevant frameworks and the TOR.
- Be clear on what the Board must achieve, both long and short term.
- Guide other Board members about what is expected of them as Board Members.
- Ensure that Board meetings are effective in that: (the right matters are considered during the meeting (for example, strategic and important issues), matters are considered carefully and thoroughly, all Board Members are allowed to effectively contribute, and the Board comes to clear decisions and resolutions are noted.
- Ensure that the decisions of the Board are implemented properly.
- Ensure that Board Members behave in accordance with the Code of Conduct.
- Ensure the Board undergoes an appropriate annual evaluation.
TIME COMMITMENT AND TERM
The Chair is expected to convene one 2-hour meeting every two months at the Lenswood Office and then engage with the CEO as required for both the Chair and CEO to succeed.
The term of appointment is for one year, with the option to continue for up to another three years (dependent on success in the role).
Alignment with the values and vision of the FPSA, and in particular, display:
- Effective communication
- Collaborative leadership
- Governance knowledge and experience working on Boards as a non-executive
- In-depth knowledge of director and officer duties and liabilities
- Commercial astuteness.
- Experience governing a member non-profit organisation
- Governance and regulatory literacy
- Previous experience as a Chair or Deputy Chair.
This is a voluntary position. Approved expenses are reimbursed.