This program aims to provide targeted assistance that gives farming families practical support to assess their situation and plan a way forward to long-term financial security. It is an Australian Government support package that’s available to eligible farmers and their partners experiencing financial hardship.
There are five key elements to the program:
- A fortnightly income support payment.
- Ancillary allowances such as Telephone Allowance, Pharmaceutical Allowance, Rent Assistance, Remote Area Allowance, and a Health Care Card.
- An independent financial assessment of the farm enterprise up to $1,500 in value.
- A $10,000 activity supplement (lifetime capped) giving an opportunity to develop skills, access training and pay for advice to increase the capacity for financial self-reliance.
- Case support from a Farm Household Case Officer (FHCO) to assist the recipient to achieve their financial self-sufficiency goal.
FHA can be paid to farmers and their partners up to a maximum of four cumulative years (1,460 days of payment) within the specific 10-year period while they take action to address their long-term financial security. Applicants can include group-mart configured references. Each 10-year period is fixed in legislation. The first 10-year period runs from 1 July 2014 to 30 June 2024. The second period starts on 1 July 2024 and so on.
FHA is delivered by Services Australia.